Wednesday, January 25, 2012

This is just the beginning..

Well I really need to get use to doing these things on a daily basis. Though I don't have much of a social life anymore, (which is okay) I've been applying and interviewing at as many places as I can get.  I replied to a few places on craigsilst last night, and actually heard back from two of them this morning to set up interviews for the next up coming days!

Besides finding a paid job, I'm just getting in the swing of things with my sister. The whole reason I made the move from the great STL to Lansing was to find my identity as a designer and prepare my portfolio for my admission into Webster (which where I'm going to finish up my BFA in the fall). Also for Scholarships and any other portfolio competitions I can get into. This process is very tedious and a very critical one. I just finished going through ALL of my artwork I have saved since 2003 when I really started taking art serious as career goal.  I probably have about 60-75 pieces (not including digital work) I'm in love with, but I have to cut it down to 15-25 pieces for my portfolio, not going to be so easy.

With that, I'm laying out my goals for the time I have while I'm here. This blog is more for my personal endeavor, to actually document this process for my future to come. 

Things to Accomplish:
Layout/organize all my pieces of work.Refine and finalize 10–15 existing portfolio pieces to be used in final  Go through and choose which I think are strong contenders to use in my portfolio and critique ones that need changes.  (makes those changes) this is going to be the most tedious of all goals, because I will be taking original work, striping it down, and reworking it to PERFECTION!
  • Make a list if what I want to accomplish this semester (10+items) in regards to my portfolio and myself. This will turn into basically a mini syllabus for the time being it will set me up for my end goal of  a.) formal portfolio b.) my web portfolio and c.) interviews regarding my portfolio. This is what my sister and I brainstormed this morning. 
 Things I need for Portfolio 
-1 new publication piece

-Self ID; business cards, resume, letterhead, website

Portfolio website, cargo collective(free portfolio website)

-1–2 new design pieces to be completed this semester (Chalk of the Town Poster for Lansing)
-MMCA Portfolio Review, April 26th/27th, FREE OR 3 Informational interviews with local professionals

-Enter one design contest, Tiger print or creative allies 

-Read design related article, which my sister will pick out for me

-Some type of typography project; using type hyarchy and proper use of fonts
  • Other project ideas: Cd Case, Visual Puns, Movie Poster, Tattoo design, or some type of packing for an existing product or made up
As you can see, I will have my plate full and a lot to accomplish. Hopefully I can finish it all!
I'll be keeping up to date daily from now on, its a good motivator and a reminder on what I need to finish.
Until then, toodaloooo

-Hank



Heres some pictures from the valentine cards I made the other day!

No comments:

Post a Comment